MBBS, MSC, FMCS, FWACS, DMAS, FMAS, LLB, BL, FICS, FACS
I, Aikponobhoa is the same person as Professor Clement Odigie Aikponobhoa Osime. I was born at the Zuma Memorial Hospital, Irrua on the 13th of March, 1964 to the family of Chief blessed Oboh Osime (of blessed memory) and Mrs Agnes Aitebebhekefo Osime (nee Anegbe). My dad died when I was quite young, and left my upbringing to my mom. I grew up in the village and farming was the profession I indulged in to become what I am today. My mom and grandmother were the signatures of success in my life. They never disappointed me.
I attended Ikienwanlen Primary School, Opoji from 1970 to 1977 and got my First School Leaving Certificate. Thereafter, I attended a secondary school at Ekpoma called Ujoelen Grammar School for one year (1977-1978) and left for the prestigious Annunciation Catholic College, Irrua where I completed my secondary education in 1982. I then taught as an auxiliary teacher at Usugbenu Grammar School from 1982 to 1983. I did the teaching to have cash flow to support myself and my widowed mom. Then from 1983 to 1985, I was at Auchi Polytechnic, Auchi and bagged a Diploma in Surveying. By the grace of God, I graduated as the best student.
In the quest for greater academic heights, I proceeded to the great UNIBEN where I obtained the MBBS degree between 1985 and 1991. My internship was at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital from 1991 to 1992 and I did the compulsory National Youth Service Corp in Sokoto State Nigeria from 1992 to 1993.
Thereafter, I commenced my residency training at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital in October, 1993 and became a Fellow of the Nigerian Post Graduate Medical College in Surgery in 1999. With this feat, I worked as a Consultant General Surgeon/Associate Lecturer I at Irrua Specialist Teaching Hospital and Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma from 2000 to 2001 and was the Head of department of Surgery in 2001.
Then, I joined the service of the University of Benin as Lecturer I in January 2002 and rose through academic and administrative ranks to become a full Professor of Surgery with special interest in Surgical Oncology and Medical Law in the department of Surgery, University of Benin in October, 2011.
Undoubtedly, I loved education and liked pushing boundaries too. I went on to acquire a Masters degree in Immunology and Immunohistochemistry from University of Benin in 1999. Yet not satisfied,
I delved into an entire different profession and bagged an LLB degree (2nd Class, Upper Division) in 2006 from the University of Benin and was called to Bar in 2007, thus becoming a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.
As Professor, I received professional trainings both within and out of the country, some of which are:
- Advanced Trauma Life Support in South Africa (2003)
- Diploma and Fellowship in Minimal Access Surgery from the famous Laparoscopy Hospital, New Delhi India (2007)
In addition, I have attended and presented papers at several local and international conferences. I am currently a reviewer for several reputable local and international journals and have over 60 well researched publications in very reputable learned journals.
I have won several awards. Some of the awards include National Merit Award presented by the following:
- National Association Dental Students (2009);
- Award of Excellence presented by the graduating Medical and Dental class (2012);
- Award of Excellence by the Association of Residence Doctors, UBTH in recognition of outstanding impact in residency training (2013);
- Best Lecturer in Surgery, an award presented by University of Benin Medical Students Association (2014);
- Award of Excellence for brilliant performance as great lecturer in Medico-legal issues in surgical practice presented by National Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (2014),
- Awards of Excellence presented by the graduating class, Medical and Dental Students (2014) and
- An Award of Honour in recognition of outstanding contributions to the service of God and humanity presented by Christ Ambassadors Students’ Outreach, AAU Chapter (2015)
I am an external examiner to several universities including: National Postgraduate Medical College (Faculty Of Surgery); West African College Of Surgeons; Igbinedion University, Okada; Delta State University, Abraka, Delta State; Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma Edo State; University Of Port Harcourt, Rivers State; Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Anambra State; Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria;
Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye, Ogun State; Niger Delta University, Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State; Bowen University, Iwo, Osun State; University Of Lagos, Lagos State. Also, I have successfully supervised the dissertations of three candidates who are all consultant surgeons now and I am currently supervising over 5 candidates.
I have served the University of Benin/University of Benin Teaching Hospital in several capacities:
- Chairman, University of Benin Teaching Hospital committee on Security matters (2010 – 2014);
- Member, School of Medicine, UNIBENIN, Research Committee (2012 – date);
- Member, University of the Benin Teaching Hospital Research and Ethics Committee (2012 – Date);
- Member, UBTH Merit Award Committee (2010 – date);
- Member, Senior Staff Disciplinary Committee, UBTH (2011 – 2014);
- Chairman, UBTH Public Lecture Series (June 2013 – Date);
- Chairman, UBTH Cancer Registry (2013 – 2014);
- Deputy Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee, University of Benin Teaching Hospital (2014 – Date);
- Member, Infection Control Committee (2006 – 2010);
- Member, Patients’ Rights Committee (2007 – 2010);
- Coordinator, 600 level Medical students’ Training in Surgery (2005 – 2013)
Currently, I lecture the following courses at the University of Benin:
- General surgery and trauma courses, with special interest in breast surgery and surgical oncology.
- Laparoscopic Surgery Courses
- Medical Law/Ethics
Furthermore, due to the nature of my profession, I travelled widely for more knowledge and updates. I have attended over twenty courses/conferences within and out of the country since 2002. The most recent was at the American College of Surgeons Conference, San Francisco, USA. October 2019.
It’s worthy to state herein that I Professor Osime is also a member of several professional bodies:
- Member, Nigeria Medical Association;
- Member, Nigeria Surgical Society;
- Fellow, International College of Surgeons;
- Member, world Association of Laparoscopic Surgeons;
- Member, Nigeria Bar Association;
- Notary Public;
- Member, Society of America Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic surgeons (SAGES);
- Member, American Association for Cancer Research;
- Member, Canadian Society of Clinical Oncologists;
- Member, European Society of Medical Oncology;
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons;
I, Professor Osime is a proud and devout Christian of the Pentecostal extraction. I was raised and nurtured spiritually in Assemblies of God Church, I have been an ardent member of the Ugbowo Branch and also a member of the Full Gospel Businessmen Fellowship, Ugbowo Chapter.
In 2003, I thought it wise to helping humanity, especially women with breast cancer, so I established a non governmental organization called Total Healthcare Breast Cancer Advocacy Centre. My sole objective encouraged early presentation and prompt management of breast cancer cases.
I am happily married to Dr (Mrs) Evarista Osime, a Senior Lecturer in the School of Basic Medical Sciences, UNIBEN and we are blessed with two lovely children.
For any breast cancer related issue, you can contact me via my email: (firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com) or Whatsapp here.
God has indeed been faithful and so I can boldly and conveniently say the song writer, Thomas O. Chislorm (1866-1960):
“Great is Thy faithfulness,” O God my Father, There is no shadow of turning with Thee; Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be. “Great is Thy faithfulness,” “Great is Thy faithfulness” Morning by morning, new mercies I see, All I have needed Thy Hand hath provided “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord unto me!
For further insights about me, get my autobiography, “Defined By Destiny My Story”
by Professor Odigie Osime